The format of the application is as follows (with maximum number of words or pages for respective sections):
- Short title of research project
- Abstract of proposed research (300 words)
- Principal Investigator and main investigators (name, post, and role in project; CV must be attached for each, limited to 4 pages per person)
- Contact information
- Ethical or Internal Review Board accepted, pending or not sought
- Importance of findings (50 words)
- Impact of research (i.e. what will it change in clinical practice and well-being for patients seeking care)
- Description of research environment and resources (1 page)
- Introductory literature review (2 pages)
- Hypothesis and model (2 pages)
- Prior relevant studies in the field by investigator(s) (2 pages)
- Proposed methodology (6 pages)
- Limitations of study (1 page)
- Protection of human or animal studies (2 pages)
- Timetable for research
- Budget and justification for budget (4 pages)
- Other sources of funding (including amounts)
- Institution/Authority responsible for administration of grant
- Appendices of interest (no more than 3 articles or documents)
2. Cover Letter for applications to EUROSPINE TFR
It is mandatory that the cover letter to the application should include the following text:
"All the applicants/investigators have read and approved the final version of the application, and signed below their agreement for the application to be made."
3. Funding requested
Budget requirements are outlined in detail in the application form
4. Conflict of interest by applicant(s)
The applicant(s) must submit the EUROSPINE conflict of interest disclosure form
5. EUROSPINE TFR evaluation of applications
EUROSPINE TFR uses a formal review process where two independent reviewers evaluate and score the proposal following the scoring instructions
and using a standard evaluation form
. The reviewer form is modeled after National Institute of Health (NIH) and other European National Institutes for funding. When the TFR meets, each proposal is openly discussed by its two reviewers, and then considered by the other TFR members before a final score is agreed. The TFR makes recommendations for funding based on the final scores and availability of funds. These recommendations must be approved by EUROSPINE Executive Committee. Applicants are recommended to read the review form.
6. The decisions to fund a research proposal cannot be contested.
The decision of the TFR is final.
7. Rules for re-submission
Re-submission of an application is permitted twice.
8. Submission and Application deadline
- Applications should be sent via e-mail to .
- Paper applications are not accepted and will be returned.
- Applications received after the application deadline will not be considered and returned to the sender.